What is Dengue?
CHARACTERISTICS OF DENGUE FEVER
Who is most affected ?
Children, tourist and travellers are usually at a higher risk for dengue transmission. However, adults living in endemic areas are in danger too.
How can Dengue be Prevented ?
ELIMINATION OF MOSQUITO BREEDING PLACES
1. Cover water containers—Tight covers on water. Storage containers, will prevent the mosquitos laying their eggs there. If the cover is loose, mosquitos can go in and out.
2. Septic tanks and soak-away pits-Cover and seal these, so that dengue mosquitos cannot breed there.
3. Removal of rubbish—Garbage articles and other rubbish found around houses can collect rain water. They should be removed or smashed and buried in the ground or burned, where this is permissible.
4. Biological control—Mosquito wigglers can be controlled by small larva-eating fish, such as guppies. These fish can be found in streams or ponds or obtained through pet shops. Bacterial pesticides will also kill mosquito wigglers.
5. Chemical control—Safe and easily used larvicides such as temephos sand core granules can be placed in water containers to kill developing wigglers.
PREVENT MOSQUOTO BITES
Treatment of dengue fever